Dina talks about wanting a report card.
It’s a thinly disguised list of goals for next year. But, I like the idea. My review this year was an unending row of “Meets Expectations” checkboxes. I want something more.
So here’s what I plan on grading myself on 12 months from now:
- Engage students.
- Make standards accessible.
- Effectively collaborate with peers.
- Extend influence beyond the boundaries of the classroom.
- Effectively reflect on practice.
- Observe more. Be observed more.
- Do more lesson analysis here.
- Solicit feedback from students.
- Provide students with better tools to evaluate their own learning.
- Develop tools to track student behavior/work habits. Make those accessible to students as well.
- Make sure that, as facilitator, I really facilitate. (IOW, keep my mouth shut).
- As department chair, keep teachers focused on teaching, and teaching effectively.
- As department chair, push the administration to make my teachers’ jobs easier. Oppose the administration on anything that makes my teachers’ jobs more difficult.
And finally, as a meta, I expect to be able to give myself a break if I don’t get 100%.